Updates on all things Disney for the month of August! Enjoy & have a magical day.
1. Disney removing films from Netflix by 2018 – The company is removing it’s films from Netflix and starting it’s own streaming services. It will include streaming services for Disney TV shows and movies, as well, as an ESPN video streaming service.
2. Statue erected to honor child killed by alligator – Lane Graves, the 2-year-old, who was attacked and killed by an alligator near a Disney resort last year, was recently honored with a statue. The gold lighthouse with two blue stars stands near the spot where the incident happened.
3. Disney shares drop – As a result of the recent news of the Walt Disney Company pushing for streaming services and parting ways with Netflix, investors have become unnerved and pulled out.
4. CHOC Walk in the Park was a hit! – The walk was a way for people to support an extraordinary organization, gave families a way to thank the doctors and nurses who care for their children and provides patients the opportunity to share their stories. The CHOC Walk over the years has raised more than $30 million to help support care, services, education and research for children undergoing medical treatment and their families.
5. Rides closed this month – At Epcot, Universe of Energy, Ellen’s Energy Adventure closed permanently on 8/13/2017. Guardians of the Galaxy is coming to Epcot! Over at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the “Great Movie Ride” closed permanently as well on 8/13/2017. It will be replaced by a new attraction, “Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.”
6. Disney Springs hosted a special four course tasting event on August 24th – Over at the rooftop of Paddlefish in Disney Springs, the more sophisticated Disney fan enjoyed a four course meal, highlighted by old world wines paired with new world cuisine that included grilled shrimp, tuna crudo, and surf & turf.
7. ABC News settled defamation lawsuit for $177 Million – Much of the settlement was connected to a multi-year “legal dispute with South Dakota-based meat processor Beef Products Inc.” In the report, ABC News conveys that Beef Products Inc.’s “pink slime” was safe to eat, but Beef Products Inc. claimed that the ABC News’ reports significantly damaged the company’s reputation, eventually affecting the bottom line.
8. The ‘Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM!’ Dessert Party Now Available to Book for 2017 Holiday Season – guests will be able to enjoy multiple food stations, featuring holiday-inspired sweet and savory delights like warm cheese fondue with pretzel bread and flatbread, warm pumpkin pie and spiced-bread pudding with hand-dipped vanilla ice cream. The Liquid Nitro Station fires-up the party with chocolate mousse and choice of toppings, including salted caramel sauce. Beer, wine and specialty cocktails are available for guests over 21.
9. Aladdin reboot finds it’s JAFAR – Marwan Kenzari is in negotiations to play Jafar in Disney’s live-action “Aladdin.” Kenzari can also be seen next in Fox’s “Murder on the Orient Express” where he plays the conductor. He also recently appeared in “The Mummy” opposite Tom Cruise, “Ben-Hur,” and “The Promise.”
10. ‘Avengers 4’ starts production – The trailer for Avengers: Infinity Warisn’t even officially out yet, but the Russo Bros. are already on to the next installment. Marvel has not revealed the title of Avengers 4 yet because the title itself is a spoiler, and little is known of the company’s plans following the movie.
11. Mission: Space relaunched on August 13th – The ride reopens for guests to enjoy over at Epcot.
12. Saluting the 82nd Airborne – To help mark the 82nd Airborne’s centennial year more than 130 veterans and soldiers were present for a special flag retreat ceremony in August 10, 2017.
13. Disney sued for reportedly spying on children in Game Apps – Disney supposedly collected personal information of young players and illegally shared it with advertisers, lawsuit says. Disney says it doesn’t believe the suit has any merit and will defend itself in court.
14. 7 year old hosts ‘Princess Party’ for foster kids at Disney World – Jordan West hosted the special event known as “Princess for a Day,” in which 14 girls joined her at the Magic Kingdom for a fun day filled with rides and meeting their favorite Disney princesses.
15. Broadway Musical ‘FROZEN’ tickets went on sale August 14th – This Broadway-bound Frozen, is a full-length stage work told in two acts, is the first and only incarnation of the tale that expands upon and deepens its indelible plot and themes through new songs and story material from the film’s creators; in fact, this new stage production features more than twice as much music as the film.
16. Disney’s #DreamBigPrincess Photo Campaign launches – As of August, all the way up until October 11, Disney will donate up to $1 million to the UN’s Girl UP foundation for every like and share each #DreamBigPrincess photo gets. The hope is that young kids will learn there’s more to aspire to than just the beloved-yet-dated Disney princess narrative.
17. Marvel’s ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ starts production – The long anticipated sequel to ‘Ant-Man’ is underway! It’s amazing to see how the Marvel universe has expanded in more than a decade of films.
18. Tangled experience in Tokyo – Disney fans in Tokyo have the opportunity to experience the floating lanterns for themselves, up-close-and-personal in an innovative new way!
19. Lucky family experience’s the “30 Days 30 Stays” promotion – The family stayed in a different Walt Disney World Resort hotel each night, for 30 straight days. The Bucket List Family sold everything they owned two years ago and have been on an adventure all around the world ever since. Disney hired them to take the spotlight for the 30-day adventure. Wish it was ME!
20. Animal Kingdom welcomes first tiger cubs in the short history of the park – Sohni, a Sumatran tiger in Disney’s care at Animal Kingdom, recently gave birth to a pair of tiger cubs, the first in the park’s history. Guests can expect to see Sohni and her cubs on the Maharajah Jungle Trek within the next several months.
21. John Ratzenberger voices a character in new Pixar film,”COCO.” – This will continue John’s streak of voicing a character in every Pixar movie ever made.
22. “Orange Bird” is getting his own Pop Vinyl figure – The Orange Bird character was created by Disney in 1970 as a mascot for the Florida Citrus Commission when they signed on to sponsor the Enchanted Tiki Room (then called Tropical Serenade) attraction at Walt Disney World‘s Magic Kingdom. Now the popular toy company ‘Funko’ has revealed an exclusive Orange Bird Pop! Vinyl figure that will only be available at Walt Disney World.
23. Slinky Dog Dash Track Completed in Toy Story Land & Slinky ride vehicle revealed!